February 23, 2021
Attention Parents, Attendees, Members of the Seaside Emmaus and Coastal Carolina Chrysalis Communities:
As we move closer to hosting our anticipated Spring 2021 Boys and Girls Flights for the Coastal Carolina Chrysalis community, we want to make all interested parties aware of some steps and measures that we are navigating to make sure that we put the safety of our community first and adhere to CDC and SCDHEC guidelines of hosting an event like this through the ongoing Covid 19 pandemic. Several of our volunteers are Horry County school teachers who are also providing input on what has been successful in their classrooms. While we are grateful that vaccines are currently in distribution and that cases are reducing, we want to do everything we can to ensure we protect our participants, volunteers, board of directors, community members, SC FFA Camp (our host site) and any and all people who may be assisting with these flights.
Some questions we still do not have answers to, but one thing is 100% certain – these sets of flights will look very different than what previous participants have seen and that is OKAY! We can make changes to the weekend that will not impact the experience but will help ensure better safety. Some of the changes we are discussing are going to be implemented and some we are still exploring. These changes/ modifications include:
- All participants will be required to present a negative covid test that has been performed within the 4 days leading up to the weekend. All participants will be required to wear masks throughout the weekend. We encourage you to bring your own but will have disposable masks available. We always have hand sanitizer throughout the camp and will continue to do so. Each participant will be required to perform a symptom check morning and night including temperature reading.
- Our team of volunteers will be disinfecting common areas such as bathrooms, dorms, cafeteria and conference room spaces as often as possible.
- We are considering changing the space that some of our events are held, which may include holding some of our community events outside. This is still a moving target with the goal to be able to maximize our indoor space to spread out participants as much as possible.
- Our sleeping arrangements will also be spread out differently to try to ensure we are minimizing germ spread.
- Any agape snacks that are donated to the community need to be individually wrapped and we are encouraging
individual beverages too. Our agape team will do their best to minimize the hands that are preparing food and will be serving food under food safety guidelines. If you feel led to contribute, we ask that you contribute pre- packaged foods or cash to help purchase the items that the agape team will prepare.
- Big House and outside volunteers will look different, this is something we are currently working on.
This is a short list of the many alterations the board is considering at this time. We encourage you to reach out with any suggestions, questions or best practices that you have seen used in other settings that may be cohesive to us and our situation as well. As always, if there are any questions or concerns, please reach out and we will do our best to help! We are a mighty team of volunteers that love Chrysalis and Emmaus and are cautious but optimistic about these sets of flights! Decolores!
Adrianne Anderson, Registrar, 843-421-6863, firstname.lastname@example.org